Legends in Indonesia
Learning Goals (Tujuan Pembelajaran)
At the end of the lesson, students are able to:
- collaborate with group members to prepare a short role-play script based on an Indonesian legend.
- practice a role play using appropriate pronunciation, intonation, expression, gestures, and fluency.
- reflect on the moral values of the legend and relate them to their daily lives.
The Legend of Way Kencana
A 15-Minute Role-Play Script
Theme: Environmental Conservation
Duration: 15 minutes
Number of Characters: 7 Students
Characters
- Narrator
- Kirana – A kind girl who loves nature.
- Rangga – A wealthy merchant.
- Village Chief
- Farmer
- Fisherman
- Villager (represents all villagers)
Scene 1
Narrator
Long ago, in a peaceful village in Lampung, there was a beautiful river called Way Kencana. The villagers depended on the river for clean water, farming, and fishing. Every morning, people gathered by the river to begin their daily activities.
(The Farmer waters crops. The Fisherman catches fish. The Villager fills a bucket with water.)
Farmer
What a beautiful morning! The river gives us enough water to grow healthy rice.
Fisherman
And today I caught plenty of fresh fish!
Villager
We are lucky to live near Way Kencana.
(Kirana enters happily.)
Kirana
Good morning, everyone!
Everyone
Good morning, Kirana!
Kirana
Please remember to protect our river. The river gives us life. If we keep it clean, it will always provide food and water for us.
Village Chief
Kirana is right. We must take care of our environment because it is our greatest treasure.
Everyone
We promise!
(Everyone smiles as the lights fade.)
Scene 2
(Rangga enters carrying a small treasure box.)
Narrator
One day, a wealthy merchant named Rangga visited the village.
Rangga
Greetings, everyone!
Village Chief
Welcome to our village. How may we help you?
Rangga
I have discovered something amazing. Beneath this river are valuable stones. If you dig them up, you will all become rich!
Villager
Really? We can become wealthy?
Farmer
Then I can buy more farmland!
Fisherman
I can buy a bigger fishing boat!
Kirana
Please don't be tempted by money. Digging beneath the river may destroy it.
Rangga
Don't worry! You'll only dig for a few days. The river will be fine.
Village Chief
What do you think?
Villager
Let's do it!
Farmer
Yes!
Fisherman
We deserve a better life!
(Kirana looks worried.)
Kirana
I hope we're not making a mistake.
Scene 3
(Everyone pretends to dig with tools.)
Narrator
The villagers dug day and night beneath the river.
Villager
Look! I found some shiny stones!
Farmer
Keep digging!
Fisherman
We'll all become rich!
(After a moment...)
Farmer
Wait... Why is the water turning brown?
Fisherman
The fish are disappearing!
Villager
The river smells terrible!
Farmer
My rice fields are drying up.
Village Chief
This has never happened before.
Kirana
I warned you. Nature is suffering because of our greed.
Rangga
I... I didn't expect this to happen.
(Everyone becomes silent.)
Scene 4
Village Chief
We made a terrible mistake.
Farmer
We thought money would make us happy.
Fisherman
But now we are losing everything.
Villager
Please forgive us, Kirana.
Kirana
I forgive you, but we must also ask forgiveness from nature.
Village Chief
Everyone, let's promise to protect our river.
Everyone
We promise!
(Thunder sound. Everyone looks up.)
Narrator
That night, heavy rain fell across the village. The rain continued until morning.
Scene 5
(Blue cloth representing a clean river is placed on stage.)
Narrator
The next morning, the river became clear again. The fish returned, and the rice fields slowly became green. However, the valuable stones had disappeared forever.
Fisherman
The fish are back!
Farmer
My fields are alive again!
Village Chief
The stones are gone...
Kirana
Nature has protected itself. Some treasures are not meant to be taken.
Rangga
I am truly sorry. I cared more about wealth than the environment.
Villager
From now on, we will protect our river.
Farmer
We will plant more trees.
Fisherman
We will never pollute the river again.
Village Chief
We will teach our children to respect nature.
Ending
Narrator
Since then, the people of Way Kencana have worked together to protect their river. They learned that clean water, healthy land, and a peaceful environment are far more valuable than gold or precious stones.
Kirana
True prosperity comes from living in harmony with nature.
Everyone (together)
"Protect Nature Today for a Better Tomorrow!"
(Everyone bows.)

No comments:
Post a Comment